The UFO Encyclopedia, 3rd Ed.
- Author/Editor: Jerome Clark
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 8 ½ x 11
- Page Count: 1,520 2-vol. set
- Publication Date: Oct 2018
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1659-6
- List Price: $155.00
- Download MARC record
The UFO Encyclopedia is a revised, updated omnibus third edition of a work originally published in three volumes between 1990 and 1996: UFOs in the 1980s (1990), The Emergence of a Phenomenon: UFOs from the Beginning through 1959 (1992), and High Strangeness: UFOs from 1960 through 1979 (1996); and as two volumes in 1998 as The Phenomenon From the Beginning.
This new edition includes over one hundred new entries and offers context for the reams of declassified UFO-related documents that have been released in the United States, Brazil, and other countries; explores secret government programs that were revealed in recent years and before; and compiles and explains the UFO phenomena in all its aspects—the sightings, close encounters, investigations, debates, symposia, personalities, hoaxes, debunking campaigns, and conspiracy theories—including expert analysis of the UFO era (which began in the summer of 1947), new works that burst on the scene following release of Steven Spielberg’s film Close Encounters of the Third Kind; and historical context for sightings in the century and a half before the UFO era (when such sightings occurred even in the absence of a name for what was being seen).
- Historic Overview: Provides a perspective on significant UFO phenomena from the beginning to the present
- UFO-Related Web Sites: Includes separate listings of some 25 websites and e-mail addresses
- Expanded Bibliography: Lists every source used in compiling The UFO Encyclopedia, including more than 4,000 books, articles, letters, government documents, and other sources
- Comprehensive Index: Covers the people, organizations, publications, and subjects that are discussed in the book
“Few books on ufology are more valuable than this massive enterprise from ufology’s foremost historian.”
—Bob Rickard, Fortean Times
“A respected UFO authority provides a much-needed update of the field.”
“Probably the most comprehensive and up-to-date reference work on UFOs available at this time.”
“Should be purchased by public and academic libraries whose patrons are interested in the subject.”