Sports Injuries Information for Teens, 5th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 7 ¼ x 9 ¼
- Page Count: 448
- Publication Date: Feb 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1850-7
- List Price: $71.00
- Download MARC record
We all want to keep our children safe and secure and help them live to their full potential. Knowing how to prevent injuries from sports and recreation activities, one of the leading causes of child injury, is a step toward this goal. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2015–17, the rate of sports, recreation, and leisure injuries among children and adolescents 1–17 years of age was 82.9 per 1,000 population. The rate of sports, recreation, and leisure injuries increased with age from 48.4 for those 1–4 years of age, to 72.7 for those 5–11 years of age, and to 117.1 for those 12–17 years of age.
Sports Injuries Information For Teens, Fifth Edition begins with facts on the benefits and barriers of sports. It provides useful information for the youths on how to choose the right sport for them, tips on maintaining a nutrient-filled healthy sports life. It continues to explain about the eating disorders that athletes face and the female triad. There is important information on drug and alcohol abuse in sports and the harms of using anabolic steroids. There are also details on how to prevent injuries with the help of protective equipment. This book then goes on to explain the diagnosis and treatment of various types of injuries such as sprains, broken bones, concussions, etc. Helpful tips on how to care for an injured athlete is also provided. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and a directory of resources for more information.
- Library binding, 7 ¼ x 9 ¼
- 400 pages per volume
- Includes online access
- Authoritative content from respected health organizations; non-technical language and writing style is accessible to young people
- Chapter headings and subheadings break up descriptive text and provide easy navigation
- Standardized callout boxes highlight important information, define terms, or summarize a chapter’s contents
- Tables, charts, and illustrations provide visual aids for technical information and supplement explanations
- Directory of resources with contact information guide further research and identify sources of information and support
- Comprehensive index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts