Sleep Information for Teens, 2nd Ed.
- Author/Editor: Siva Ganesh Maharaja
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 7 ¼ x 9 ¼
- Page Count: 336
- Publication Date: Jan 2018
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1478-3
- List Price: $71.00
- Download MARC record
Sleep cycles are regulated by an internal biological clock, and when children enter the teen years, their sleep patterns change. They feel more wakeful later into the evening than they did when they were younger. When this natural tendency is coupled with earlier school starting times, sleep debts begin to accumulate. Inadequate sleep leads to poorer daytime performance and a decreased ability to concentrate. It has a negative impact on learning, extracurricular activities, and social relationships. It increases reaction times, contributes to memory lapses, and can affect behavior and moods. When teens don’t get enough sleep at night, they fall asleep at inappropriate—and even dangerous—times, such as in class or behind the wheel.
Sleep Information For Teens, 2nd Edition provides facts about sleep and sleep requirements for teens. It explains the biological processes involved in sleep and discusses circadian rhythms, dreaming, sleep hygiene, and sleep disorders, including insomnia, delayed sleep phase syndrome, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, restless legs syndrome, sleep walking, and enuresis (bedwetting). A special section on sleep deprivation explains the physical and mental consequences of inadequate sleep, and a section on current research initiatives reports some of the most recent findings. The book concludes with a directory of resources for additional information and a list of suggestions for further reading about sleep and sleep disorders.
- Library binding, 7 ¼ x 9 ¼
- 400 pages per volume
- Authoritative content from respected health organizations; non-technical language and writing style is accessible to young people
- Chapter headings and subheadings break up descriptive text and provide easy navigation
- Standardized call out boxes highlight important information, define terms, or summarize a chapter’s contents
- Tables, charts, and illustrations provide visual aids for technical information and supplement explanations
- Directory of resources with contact information guide further research and identify sources of information and support
- Comprehensive index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts