Communication Disabilities Sourcebook, 1st Edition
- Author/Editor: Angela L. Williams
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 5 ½ x 8 ½
- Page Count: 304
- Publication Date: April 2020
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1790-6
- List Price: $47.00
- Download MARC record
Any condition that affects one’s ability to detect, receive, send, processes, or comprehend various aspects of language—both verbal and nonverbal—may lead to communication disabilities. They can impair hearing, voice, speech, language, cognition, and learning abilities of a person. The cause of such impairments is unknown in most cases. According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), about five percent of children by first grade have noticeable speech disorders. It is important to identify the people with communication disorders and address the issue at the right time in the right way. If not, the patients may experience additional issues, such as stress, depression, and isolation.
Communication Disabilities Sourcebook, First Edition explains what voice, speech, and language are, and how communication problems may develop in a person. Various types of communication disabilities and their impact on the personal, social, and economic well-being of a person are discussed. It offers information about recovery models and rehabilitation techniques along with the rights and benefits of people with communication disabilities. The book concludes with a director of resources for additional help and information.
Standard Features in the Disability Series
- 5 ½ x 8 ½
- 200-300 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.