Patriotic Holidays of the United States
- Author/Editor: Helene Henderson
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 7 1/4 x 9 1/4
- Page Count: 408
- Book Level:
- Publication Date: 2006
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-0733-4
- List Price: $71.00
You save $19.20 (30%)!
Patriotic Holidays of the United States makes America’s past come alive through entries on the major patriotic holidays celebrated in the United States. The book provides students and teachers with access to a wealth of historical material about these national patriotic holidays.
This new source presents the history, symbols, and traditions behind 15 American holidays, from Armed Forces Day to Washington’s Birthday. Numerous illustrations of people, places, and events relating to the holidays are provided. For a more complete understanding of the coverage offered in Patriotic Holidays of the United States, please see the Sample Pages.
List of Holidays Covered
- Foreword: Written by American historian Matthew Dennis, University of Oregon, adds perspective on the meaning of patriotic holidays
- Introduction: Patriotism in the United States: Presents an overview of American patriotism, holidays, government, political parties, national symbols, and mottoes
- Numerous illustrations: Photos and other images of people, places, and events relating to the holidays enliven the text
- Primary Sources: Selection includes the texts of 18 important historic documents and primary sources relating to the holidays, including the Declaration of Independence, U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights, Emancipation Proclamation, “I Have a Dream" speech by Martin Luther King Jr., President George Bush’s remarks following the attacks of September 11
- Chronology: Lists historical events commemorated by holidays and observances, with information on the establishment of holidays and observances
- Bibliography, Web Sites, and Index
"The comprehensive scope of this extremely informative title makes it a most useful and interesting book for patrons of every school and public library."
—Library Media Connection, Oct '06
"Readers are sure to gain insight into the history of the U.S., for the history of a nation’s holidays is certainly a history of the country."
—School Library Journal, Feb '06
"Especially useful are the historical perspectives and primary-source documents related to these important days, as well as excerpts from diaries and speeches that illuminate observances."
—School Library Journal, Curriculum Connection, Oct '06
"Because it is geared toward a general audience, this book is a good reference source for both public and academic libraries, providing some detail on the history, traditions, and symbols behind the major patriotic holidays and days of observance in the United States."
—American Reference Books Annual, 2006