Parks Directory of the United States 7th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Omnigraphics
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 8 ½ x 11
- Page Count: 1150
- Book Level:
- Publication Date: Dec 2015
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1424-0
- List Price: $216.00
Web Price: $195.00
Parks Directory of the United States, 7th Edition, is a one-stop, comprehensive reference source to nearly 5,300 national and state parks and other designated recreational, scenic, and historic areas in the United States and Canada. The directory includes parks, forests, wildlife refuges, and recreation areas administered by the National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Federal Highway Administration, state and municipal park agencies, and Parks Canada.
In addition to parks, this directory also covers national scenic byways, major urban parks, historic sites, battlefields, monuments, forests, preserves, memorials, seashores, trails, and other designated recreational areas. Descriptive listings for more than 300 park and conservation organizations are also provided. For more information about some of the coverage offered in Parks Directory of the United States, 7th Edition, please see the Sample Pages.
Parks Directory provides up-to-date information for each site, including contact information, acreage, location, established date, facilities, activities, special features, and entrance pass programs, job, career, and volunteer opportunities are also highlighted. Many entries include such specialized information as primary wildlife, habitat, common species, and environmental issues.
Arrangement and Content of Entries
The main body of Parks Directory of the United States is divided into 11 main sections:
Entries include the name, address, phone number, fax number, and website for each site, its location, acreage, established date, facilities, activities, and special features.
- The National Parks section includes descriptive listings of 387 park units and 25 affiliated areas; arrangement is alphabetical by park name, with the affiliated areas listed at the end of the section
- The Canadian National Parks section features 156 national parks and national park reserves in Canada, located in every province and territory; arrangement is alphabetical by park name
- The National Forests and Grasslands section has descriptive listings of 134 forests and 17 grasslands and is arranged alphabetically by unit name, with the forests listed first, followed by the grasslands
- The National Wildlife Refuges section provides descriptive listings of 486 wildlife refuges and is arranged alphabetically by refuge name
- The National Trails section includes 55 national scenic and historic trails and is arranged alphabetically by trail name
- The National Marine Sanctuaries section provides information on the National Marine Sanctuaries Program and the 14 designated sanctuaries
- The National Heritage Areas section provides information on the National Heritage Areas Program and includes descriptive listings of 45 national heritage areas
- The National Scenic Byways section provides information on the National Scenic Byways Program and includes descriptive listings of 184 national scenic byways and “All-American” roads
- The State Parks section includes descriptive listings of 3,368 park units; arrangement is by state and then alphabetical by park name within each state
- The Urban Parks section has descriptive listings of major urban parks in the top 100 metropolitan areas in the U.S. and is arranged alphabetically by city and then by park name within each city
- The Park- and Conservation-Related Organizations section provides descriptions of more than 200 associations and agencies that are concerned with the conservation, protection, and recreational usage of parklands in the United States and Canada