Obesity and Overweight Sourcebook, First Edition
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 664
- Publication Date: July 2020
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1808-8
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Obesity and overweight are serious health conditions caused due to the increase in size and amount of the fat cells. They are becoming increasingly common among the U.S. families affecting the overall health, economy, and productivity of the nation. According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), the age-adjusted prevalence of obesity among the U.S. adults was about 42.4 percent in 2017–2018. Obesity can lead to several other health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, sleep disorders, and even cancer. However, proper lifestyle and diet plans can control obesity and overweight to a great extent.
Obesity and Overweight Sourcebook, First Edition begins with an overview about the medical model of obesity. It talks about fat and explains the difference between obesity and overweight. It provides statistical data on obesity and overweight in the United States and discusses the prevalence of these conditions among specific populations. It focuses on the importance of sleep, nutrition and physical activities to maintain a healthy body weight. The health risks associated with obesity and overweight such as arthritis, cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, stroke etc. are discussed along with the difficulties that people with excess weight face in society. It provides information about the prevention and treatment of obesity and also offers tips to cope up with it. The book concludes with a glossary of terms related to obesity and overweight and a directory of resources for further help and support.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts