Mental Health Disorders Sourcebook, 8th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 704
- Publication Date: Oct 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1970-2
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Mental health encompasses thoughts, actions, and feelings. Mentally healthy individuals are able to cope with life’s challenges, handle stressful situations, deal with anger, maintain meaningful relationships with others, and enjoy life. Despite the benefits, maintaining a healthy mind is not always possible, and mental disorders are common. Mental illnesses are common in the United States. Nearly one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness (51.5 million in 2019). Mental illnesses include many different conditions that vary in degree of severity, ranging from mild to moderate to severe and estimates suggest that only half of people with mental illnesses receive treatment.
Mental Health Disorders Sourcebook, Eighth Edition discusses how the brain works, the components of mental wellness, and the lifestyle habits that lead to illness. It offers information about the major types of mental illness and their treatments, including effective disorders, anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, personality disorders, and disorders that impact behavior, including impulse control disorders, addictions, and eating disorders. A special section looks at pediatric issues in mental health and another examines the distinctive concerns of other specific populations. Information is also included about the relationship between mental health and chronic illnesses, such as cancer, epilepsy, heart disease, pain, and sleep disorders. The book concludes with a glossary of mental-health terms, a list of crisis hotlines, and a directory of mental-health organizations.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts