Men's Health Concerns Sourcebook, 7th Ed.
- Author/Editor: James Chambers, General Editor
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 752
- Publication Date: November 2023
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-2052-4
- List Price: $97.00
The gap in life expectancy between men and women has narrowed in recent years, but men continue to face many health disadvantages. Men are more likely than women to smoke and drink, engage in risky behaviors, and put off checkups and regular preventative care. Men also face a number of disorders unique to their gender, including prostate cancer, penile and testicular disorders, low testosterone, and sex-related genetic disorders.
Men’s Health Concerns Sourcebook, Seventh Edition discusses health issues that disproportionately affect men. It explains how men can help protect themselves and preserve their health with self-examinations and screening tests. Detailed information about diseases specific to men, their sexual and reproductive health, prostate disorders, and mental health concerns is included. It provides facts about alcohol and drug use and injuries that arise due to accidents and other health concerns and explains how men can avoid them or lessen their impact. Lifestyle choices, nutrition, physical activity, and information on vaccinations for men are also covered. A glossary of terms related to men’s health and a list of resources provide further help and information.
Part 1: Men’s Health Overview provides fundamental information about differences in men’s and women’s health, screening tests, and self-examinations that are recommended for men.
Part 2: Common Medical Issues in Men discusses male-linked genetic disorders, including color vision deficiency, hemophilia, and muscular dystrophy (MD). It also discusses some of the most common health threats significant to men, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer disease (AD), liver and kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), respiratory illnesses, and mental health disorders. In addition, men’s issues related to disorders traditionally associated with women, such as breast cancer and osteoporosis, are also addressed.
Part 3: Sexual and Reproductive Health provides information about conditions that affect male reproductive organs, including prostate disorders, disorders of the scrotum and testicles, circumcision, penile concerns, and male menopause. It offers suggestions for dealing with sexual dysfunction and male infertility. It also includes facts about birth control methods, sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), and safer sex practices.
Part 4: Accidents, Violence, and Other Health Concerns discusses common injuries and accidents frequently associated with fatalities in men, including motor vehicle accidents, falls, occupational injuries, and suicide. The part concludes with information on the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs and the prevalence of body image problems that lead to eating disorders in men.
Part 5: Healthy Lifestyle Choices offers information on vaccinations recommended for men and suggestions for managing common disease risk factors, including tips on weight management, nutrition, and physical activity.
Part 6: Additional Help and Information includes a glossary of terms related to men’s health and a directory of resources offering additional help and support.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts