Men's Health Concerns Sourcebook, 6th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Angela L. Williams
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 744
- Publication Date: Aug 2019
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1717-3
- List Price: $95.00
- Download MARC record
The life expectancy gap between men and women has narrowed in recent years, but men still face many health disadvantages. Men are more likely than women to smoke and drink, engage in risky behaviors, and put off checkups and regular preventative care. Men also face a number of disorders unique to their gender, including prostate cancer, penile and testicular disorders, low testosterone, and sex-linked genetic disorders.
Men’s Health Concerns Sourcebook, Sixth Edition discusses health issues that disproportionately affect men. It explains how men can help protect themselves and preserve their health with self-examinations, vaccinations, screening tests, and lifestyle choices. It provides facts about the specific diseases and injuries that comprise the list of leading causes of death in men and explains how men can avoid them or lessen their impact. Detailed information about sexual and reproductive concerns, prostate disorders, substance use, mental health concerns, and other disorders affecting men is included. Lifestyle choices, nutrition and physical activity for men are also covered. A glossary of related terms and a list of resources provide further help and information.
The book is divided into parts and chapters where parts focus on broad areas of interest and chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part I: Men’s Health Basics provides fundamental information about differences in men’s and women’s health, screening tests, self-examinations, and vaccinations that are recommended for men. It offers suggestions for managing common disease risk factors, including tips on weight management, nutrition, and physical activity.
Part II: Leading Causes of Death in Men describes the factors that contribute most significantly to men’s mortality, including heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer disease, liver and kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and other respiratory illnesses. It discusses common injuries and accidents frequently associated with fatalities in men, including motor vehicle accidents, falls, occupational injuries, homicide, and suicide.
Part III: Sexual and Reproductive Concerns provide information about conditions that affect male reproductive organs, including urological disorders, prostate disorders, disorders of the scrotum and testicles, circumcision, and penile concerns. It offers suggestions for dealing with sexual dysfunction and male infertility. It includes facts about birth control methods, sexually transmitted diseases, and safer sex practices.
Part IV: Other Medical Issues of Concern to Men discusses male linked genetic disorders, including color vision deficiency, hemophilia, and muscular dystrophy. It examines physical and mental health concerns with gender differences in their expression or incidence rates. In addition, men’s issues related to disorders traditionally associated with women, such as body image and body dysmorphic disorder, breast cancer, and osteoporosis, are also addressed.
Part V: Additional Help and Information includes a glossary of terms related to men’s health and a directory of resources offering additional help and support.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts