Health Reference Series
HIV and AIDS Sourcebook, 8th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 720
- Publication Date: March 2022
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1988-7
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Approximately 1.2 million people in the United States have human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). HIV continues to have a disproportionate impact on certain populations, particularly racial and ethnic minorities and gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. In 2019, an estimated 34,800 new HIV infections occurred in the United States. In 2019, 36,801 people received an HIV diagnosis in the United States and 6 dependent areas – an overall 9 percent decrease compared with 2015. HIV diagnoses are not evenly distributed across states and regions. The highest rates of new diagnoses continue to occur in the South. This devastating disease attacks the immune system and affects all parts of the body, eventually leading to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), its most deadly and advanced stage, for which there is currently no cure. Yet there is hope for the many Americans living with HIV infection or AIDS. Improvements in medications and earlier diagnosis mean that those infected with HIV are living longer, healthier, and more productive lives.
HIV and AIDS Sourcebook, Eighth Edition provides basic consumer information about the HIV and AIDS, including information about the stages and types of the disease and about how it is transmitted. It includes guidelines for preventing disease transmission and details about how it is diagnosed and the various drug regimens used in its treatment. Information on co-occurring infections, complications, and tips for living with HIV infection are also included. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and a list of resources for additional help and information.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume