Global Public Health and Disease Control Sourcebook, 1st Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 608
- Publication Date: Dec 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1964-1
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Advancements in technology have revolutionized biomedical research and healthcare systems across the world and improved the health and life expectancies of people in recent decades. However, there are still inequalities in health status, access to healthcare, and health outcomes among people depending on geographical conditions and wealth. According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, noncommunicable diseases affected people of all age groups, regions, and countries and accounted for nearly 71 percent of all deaths globally. Communicable diseases along with maternal, perinatal, and nutritional conditions were responsible for nearly half of all deaths in low-income countries with lower respiratory infections, diarrheal diseases, malaria, tuberculosis, and HIV/AIDS remaining in the top 10 causes of death. Low-income countries (LICs) and lower- middle-income countries (LMICs) bore most of the burden of communicable diseases, including that attributable to tuberculosis (TB), HIV, malaria, neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), and hepatitis B.
Global Public Health and Disease Control Sourcebook, First Edition gives an overview of major global health challenges of the 21st century, including the impact of population aging; major infectious diseases that affect global health such as pneumonia, cholera, Ebola, Zika; and the rapid increase in non-communicable chronic disease. The book also examines the determinants of public health, such as socioeconomic factors and environmental health, and the importance of sustainable development for achieving global health goals. In addition, information about public health promotion, disease prevention, and emergency preparedness are explained along with a glossary of related terms and a directory of organizations that provide information about global health
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume