Gastrointestinal Diseases and Disorders Sourcebook, 4th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Angela Williams
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 816
- Book Level:
- Publication Date: Nov 2018
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1650-3
- List Price: $95.00
Web Price: $85.00
The gastrointestinal tract includes the stomach, intestines, and other organs related to digestion—the process by which food and drink are changed into molecules of nutrients that can be carried to the body’s cells. Disorders that interfere with this process affect an estimated 60 to 70 million Americans and account for more than 48.3 million doctor visits every year.
Gastrointestinal Diseases and Disorders Sourcebook, Fourth Edition provides readers with updated health information about the causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases and disorders affecting the esophagus, stomach, intestines, appendix, gall bladder, liver, and pancreas. It also describes how the gastrointestinal tract can be affected by food intolerances, infectious diseases, and various cancers. The structure and function of the digestive system, common diagnostic methods, medical treatments, surgical procedures, and current research initiatives are described. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and directory of resources for further help and information.
This book is divided into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part One: Introduction to the Digestive System begins with a look at the anatomy and physiology of the digestive system. The part focuses on common gastrointestinal symptoms, cyclic vomiting syndrome, and discusses how the gastrointestinal tract can be impacted by tobacco use or by frequently used medications. It concludes with helping keeping gut in check.
Part Two: Diagnostic and Surgical Procedures used for Gastrointestinal Disorders provides a detailed look at endoscopic procedures and other types of tests used to diagnose gastrointestinal disorders. It also explains ostomy, colectomy, and other surgical procedures.
Part Three: Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract looks at disorders of the esophagus and the stomach. It talks about swallowing disorders, peptic ulcers, Whipple disease, dyspepsia, Barrett esophagus, gastroparesis, pyloric stenosis, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and also other diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Part Four: Disorders of the Lower Gastrointestinal Tract describes the risk factors, symptoms, and treatment options for disorders affecting the large and small intestines, appendix, gall bladder, anus, and rectum. It focuses on anatomic problems of the lower GI tract also.
Part Five: Disorders of the Digestive System’s Solid Organs: The Liver and the Pancreas offers current information about the risk factors, symptoms, and treatment options for pancreatitis, hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, and other liver disorders.
Part Six: Cancers of the Gastrointestinal Tract provides a detailed look at the different cancers that affect the gastrointestinal tract. Each chapter focuses on risk factors, symptoms, diagnostic methods, staging information, treatment options, and clinical trials.
Part Seven: Food Intolerances and Infectious Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract discuss lactose intolerance, celiac disease, and diseases transmitted by viral, bacterial, or parasitic contamination of food or drinking water.
Part Eight: Additional Help and Information provides a glossary of gastrointestinal terms and a directory of organizations that can provide further information.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $95 per volume
- School and Library Price $85 per volume