Health Reference Series
Diet and Nutrition Sourcebook, 6th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library Binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 720
- Publication Date: June 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1711-1
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Nutrition affects health, well-being, quality of life, and longevity, yet according to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines, about half of all American adults—117 million individuals—have one or more preventable diet-related chronic diseases many of which are related to poor quality eating patterns and physical inactivity. This, along with increasingly sedentary lifestyles and busy schedules, can lead to obesity, heart disease, certain cancers, and diabetes. The direct medical costs associated with these diet-related health problems are significant. The continued high rates of overweight and obesity and low levels of progress toward meeting Dietary Guideline recommendations highlight the need to improve dietary and physical activity education and behaviors across the U.S. population.
Diet and Nutrition Sourcebook, Sixth Edition provides up-to-date data on nutrition and health, including information from the recently updated Dietary Guidelines for Americans and facts about the new MyPlate food guidance system. It details how children, seniors, vegetarians, athletes, and others can benefit from good nutrition. It offers tips for smart grocery shopping, healthy food preparation, and the consumption of a varied, balanced, and nutritious diet. It also discusses strategies for maintaining healthy eating patterns in restaurants, fast food establishments, and other places where meals are consumed away from home. People with certain medical concerns will learn how dietary choices play a role in disease management practices, and a special section discusses the link between nutrition and weight loss and weight maintenance. The book concludes with a glossary, information about government nutrition programs, and a directory of related organizations.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts