Diabetes Sourcebook, 8th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Hardcover
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 600
- Publication Date: Oct 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1972-6
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Diabetes is a chronic disorder characterized by high levels of blood sugar. It can lead to a host of complications, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, blindness, kidney disease, nervous system disease, and limb amputation. Although many of the complications of diabetes occur over long periods of time, poorly controlled blood glucose levels can also result in acute medical emergencies, such as seizures or coma or even death.
The number of people with diabetes in the United States is growing. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 100 million U.S. adults are now living with diabetes or prediabetes. 34.2 million Americans – just over 1 in 10 – have diabetes. 88 million American adults – approximately 1 in 3 – have prediabetes. Despite its prevalence, many Americans are unaware of the basic facts about diabetes and the progress being made in the fight against it. For example, new forms of treatment such as pancreatic islet transplantation and artificial pancreas offer hope for an eventual cure.
Diabetes Sourcebook, Eighth Edition provides basic consumer information about the different types of diabetes and how they are diagnosed. It discusses strategies for controlling diabetes and managing daily life challenges. It includes information about the complications of diabetes and their prevention and offers guidelines for recognizing and treating diabetic emergencies. The book concludes with updated information regarding the most recent research in diabetes care, a glossary of related terms, and a list of resources for additional help and information.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume