Congenital Disorders Sourcebook, 5th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Hardcover
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 736
- Publication Date: July 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1909-2
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 1 in 33 babies (about 3 percent of all babies) in the United States are born each year with a congenital disability. In fact, birth defects are the leading cause of death in the first year of life, accounting for 20 percent of all infant deaths. Yet, the future is brightening. Recent medical advances have enabled doctors to diagnose and treat some congenital disabilities before birth, affording affected children a much greater chance at survival. Additionally, advances in our understanding of the causes of birth defects allow prospective parents to take steps to minimize the chance that an infant will be born with these types of disorders.
Congenital Disorders Sourcebook, Fifth Edition, describes the most common types of nonhereditary birth defects and disorders related to prematurity, gestational injuries, prenatal and perinatal infections, maternal-health conditions during pregnancy, and birth complications, including cerebral palsy, cleft lip and palate, fetal alcohol syndrome, spina bifida, and disorders of the heart, brain, gastrointestinal tract, musculoskeletal system, urinary tract, reproductive organs, and chromosomal defects such as Down syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome, etc. Causes, prevention strategies, diagnostic tests are explained, and innovative treatment strategies, including fetal surgery, are described. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and a directory of resources for further help and information.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume