Complementary and Alternative Medicine Sourcebook, 7th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 696
- Publication Date: Dec 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1980-1
- List Price: $97.00
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies play a key role in the healthcare of many Americans. The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) reports that in the United States, approximately 38 percent of adults (about 4 in 10) and approximately 12 percent of children (about 1 in 9) are using some form of CAM. These alternative therapies, alone or in conjunction with mainstream medicines, are often used to treat an increasing variety of diseases and conditions, such as arthritis, anxiety, back pain, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and sleep problems.
Complementary and Alternative Medicine Sourcebook, Seventh Edition provides updated information for people considering these therapies for general well-being or specific health conditions. It discusses how to select a CAM practitioner, talk with a primary healthcare provider about using CAM, evaluate information on the internet, and pay for CAM therapies. It describes whole medical systems, such as Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine, Native American medicine, acupuncture, homeopathy, and naturopathy. It also talks about the safe use of dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals, and herbs. Information on biologically based therapies, mind-body medicine, manipulative and body-based therapies, and energy-based therapies is also included. A glossary of related terms and a directory of additional resources provide additional help and information.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume