Childhood Diseases and Disorders Sourcebook, 5th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Angela L. Williams
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 824
- Book Level:
- Publication Date: Oct 2019
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1729-6
- List Price: $95.00
- Download MARC record
Web Price: $85.00
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 85.3 percent of children aged 5 to 11 years are reported to be in excellent or very good health. However, even healthy children often face illnesses and injuries. Children also suffer from chronic diseases that limit their daily activities and poses threat to their growth and development. These health issues, along with environmental hazards, lack of physical activity, poor diet, and other dangers, create concern for the well-being of the children.
Childhood Diseases and Disorders Sourcebook, Fifth Edition provides up-to-date information about common disorders that affect the physical, mental, and developmental health of school-age children. It discusses infectious diseases, asthma and allergies, cancer, diabetes, growth and developmental disorders, mental health and conduct disorders, and conditions affecting the blood, brain, muscles and bones, skin, and internal organs. Included are guidelines for promoting wellness and preventing injuries, along with a glossary of related terms and a list of organizations providing further information.
This book is divided into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part I: Introduction to Children’s Health and Safety provides basic information on routine and emergency medical care for children, as well as guidelines for childhood vaccination and medication. It also discusses childhood obesity, secondhand smoking, and other health problems.
Part II: Childhood Infections and Related Concerns focuses on food-borne, bacterial, viral, and parasitic and fungal infections that can occur in childhood as well as other diseases associated with infections.
Part III: Medical Conditions Appearing in Childhood describes conditions and disorders that are generally diagnosed during childhood. This part provides facts about allergies, cancer, diabetes, growth disorders, and disorders affecting the blood and heart, ear, nose, and throat, gastrointestinal tract, endocrine system, kidneys, liver, muscles and bones, brain, lungs, skin, and eyes.
Part IV: Developmental and Pediatric Mental-Health Concerns details mental health disorders than can affect children, as well as common developmental and learning disabilities.
Part V: Additional Help and Information provides a glossary of terms related to childhood diseases and disorders and concludes with a list of resources for parents and caregivers.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts