Cancer Sourcebook, 9th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 1,224
- Publication Date: Oct 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1919-1
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Every year, nearly 1.6 million Americans receive a diagnosis of cancer. Cancer is not a single disease, however. There are many different diseases that all share one common characteristic: Some of the body’s cells do not die when they should. Instead they continue to grow and divide. Through this process, cancer cells can damage the body’s tissues and organs, leading to a broad array of symptoms and even death. The cellular changes that lead to the development of cancer are sometimes inherited but they may also result from environmental or lifestyle factors. Although the survival rates for many types of cancer have improved in recent years and innovative treatment protocols are being developed, cancer remains one of the leading causes of death in the United States.
Cancer Sourcebook, Ninth Edition provides updated information about common types of cancer affecting the head, neck, central nervous system, endocrine system, lungs, digestive and urinary tracts, blood cells, immune system, skin, bones, and other body systems. It explains how people can reduce their risk of cancer by adopting a healthy lifestyle, addressing issues related to cancer risk, and taking advantage of screening exams. Various treatment choices, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, bone marrow transplantation, and biological therapies – are discussed, and facts are provided about cancer clinical trials and other ongoing research. And also it talks about life after cancer treatment and healthy food choices. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms, a directory of national cancer organizations, and suggestions for finding community-based resources.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume