Brain Disorders Sourcebook, 6th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 760
- Publication Date: Sept 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1915-3
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Millions of Americans and their families experience the daily challenges of living with physical, mental, or emotional difficulties that result from brain disorders caused by heredity, infection, injury, tumors, or degeneration. Someone in the United States has a stroke every 40 seconds. Every 4 minutes, someone dies of a stroke. Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke. About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes. An estimated 5.5 million Americans are affected by Alzheimer disease (AD), and each year 2.8 million Americans suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Although damage to the brain may result in permanent disability, with appropriate treatment and follow-up care, many affected individuals are able to participate fully in life’s activities.
Brain Disorders Sourcebook, Sixth Edition provides readers with updated information about brain function and aging process and as well as how the environment can affect brain disorders, neurological emergencies such as a brain attack (stroke) or seizure, and symptoms of brain disorders. It describes the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation therapies for genetic and congenital brain disorders, brain infections, brain tumors, seizures, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), and degenerative neurological disorders such as Alzheimer disease (AD) and other dementias, Parkinson disease (PD), and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). A glossary of related terms is also included along with a directory of additional resources about brain disorders.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume