Blood and Circulatory Disorders Sourcebook, 5th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Angela L. Williams
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 656
- Book Level:
- Publication Date: Aug 2019
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1715-9
- List Price: $95.00
Web Price: $85.00
Blood plays many important roles in the human body. It carries oxygen and nutrients to the body’s cells, help fight infection, and works to heal wounds. When a disorder inhibits its ability to meet the body’s needs or prevents blood from flowing or coagulating properly, a myriad of problems can result. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), millions of people across the United States of all ages, race, sex, and socioeconomic status are affected by blood disorders such as anemia, sickle cell disease, and hemophilia.
Blood and Circulatory Disorders Sourcebook, Fifth Edition offers facts about blood function and composition, the maintenance of a healthy circulatory system, and the types of concerns that arise when processes go awry. It discusses the diagnosis and treatment of many common blood cell disorders, bleeding disorders, and circulatory disorders, including anemia, hemochromatosis, leukemia, lymphoma, hemophilia, hyper coagulation, thrombophilia, atherosclerosis, blood pressure irregularities, coronary artery and heart disease, and peripheral vascular disease. Blood donation, cord blood banking, blood transfusions, and bone marrow and stem cell transplants are also discussed. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and a list of resources for further help and information.
The book is divided into parts and chapters where parts focus on broad areas of interest and chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part I: Understanding Blood and the Circulatory System explains the composition and types of blood and how it functions in the body. It describes blood donation and cord blood banking procedures, and it also discusses how aging affects the heart and blood vessels.
Part II: Blood Disorders describes ailments that affect the composition of the blood itself. These include anemia and other hemoglobin disorders, cancers of the blood, plasma cell disorders, and white blood cell disorders. Information about the causes of these disorders is provided, and treatment strategies are discussed.
Part III: Bleeding and Clotting Disorders provides information about bleeding disorders resulting from insufficient clotting, such as hemophilia and von Willebrand disease, and those resulting from excess clotting, including deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Methods of diagnosis and treatment options are included.
Part IV: Circulatory Disorders describes disorders affecting the veins, arteries, and heart. It includes information about aneurysms, stroke, blood pressure irregularities, atherosclerosis, carotid artery disease, coronary artery disease, heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, and venous disorders such as thrombophlebitis and varicose and spider veins. Information about causes and diagnosis, as well as treatment options, is provided.
Part V: Diagnosing and Treating Blood and Circulatory Disorders provide information about medical tests commonly used to identify and monitor blood and circulatory disorders. It offers facts about many of the medications often used in the treatment of these disorders and discusses such procedures as blood transfusion and bone marrow transplants.
Part VI: Additional Help and Information includes a glossary of terms related to blood and circulatory disorders and a directory of resources offering additional help and support.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts