Arthritis Sourcebook, 5th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Angela L. Williams
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 568
- Publication Date: June 2018
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1626-8
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Arthritis Sourcebook, Fifth Edition provides updated information about diagnosing, treating, and managing degenerative, inflammatory, and other specific forms of arthritis. It also explains the symptoms and treatments of related diseases that affect the joints, tendons, ligaments, bones, and muscles. Details about currently used medical, surgical, and self-care management strategies are included along with tips for reducing joint pain and inflammation and managing arthritis-related disability. The book concludes with a glossary of terms and directory of resources for additional help and information and also includes online access.
This book is divided into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part I: Introduction to Arthritis provides general information about the types, prevalence, risk factors, and causes of arthritis and related rheumatic diseases. Information about how arthritis affects specific joints in different parts of the body—the shoulder, wrist, hip, knee, ankle, and foot—is also included.
Part II: Types of Arthritis, Related Rheumatic Diseases, and Other Associated Medical Conditions discusses the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for common forms of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Separate individual chapters focus on rheumatic diseases caused by or related to arthritis. These disorders, such as ankylosing Behçet disease, fibromyalgia, gout, lupus, psoriasis, Sjögren syndrome, and scleroderma, may also cause chronic joint pain, stiffness, and inflammation.
Part III: Medical and Surgical Treatments for Arthritis begins with information about how arthritis patients can find and communicate with appropriate health care providers. It provides information about over-the-counter and prescription medications used for arthritis-related pain and inflammation. Surgical procedures, including arthroscopic, bone fusion, and joint replacement surgery, are also described.
Part IV: Arthritis Self-Management: Strategies to Reduce Pain and Inflammation highlights various ways arthritis patients can cope with pain, sleep deprivation, and other symptoms that may accompany arthritis. Weight management tips, exercise programs, and diet-related information are discussed, and facts about the use of herbs and other complementary and alternative therapies are provided.
Part V: Living with Arthritis describes some of the emotional concerns and daily challenges encountered by people who are coping with the effects and limitations of joint disease. These include handling depression, managing stress, maintaining independence, and preserving healthy relationships. Tips are also provided for arthritis patients who have questions about starting a family and other related issues.
Part VI: Additional Help and Information offers a glossary of important terms related to arthritis and rheumatic diseases. A directory of resources contains a list of organizations able to help people with arthritis, and it includes facts about programs that assist with the cost of medications.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Volumes published after June 2015 include access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $95 per volume
- School and Library Price $85 per volume