Alzheimer Disease Sourcebook, 8th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Hardcover
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 600
- Publication Date: Oct 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1976-4
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
Approximately 5.8 million Americans are estimated to be living with the progressive, incurable, fatal brain disorder known as Alzheimer disease (AD). By 2060, this number is projected to quadruple and affect 14 million U.S. adults aged 65 years of age or older. AD, which accounts for 60 to 80 percent of all dementia cases, damages brain cells, causes memory loss and dementia, and worsens over time until persons lose their ability to work, walk, and interact. Beyond the age of 65, the number of persons living with the condition doubles every five years.
Alzheimer Disease Sourcebook, Eighth Edition provides updated information about the brain’s structure, how it develops with age, and the cognitive loss and degeneration that occurs in dementia. It also covers over the causes, symptoms, and indicators of AD and other dementias, such as moderate cognitive impairment, corticobasal degeneration, dementia with Lewy bodies, and frontotemporal dementia, Huntington disease, Parkinson disease, and dementia caused by infections and other health conditions. It discusses the Facts about genetic testing, cognitive and behavioral symptoms, AD clinical trials, and recent research efforts are also included, along with information about legal, financial, and medical planning and coping strategies for caregivers. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and directories of resources.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts