Allergies Sourcebook, 7th Ed.
- Author/Editor: James Chambers
- Binding: Hardcover
- Trim Size: 6×9
- Page Count: 600
- Book Level: 10
- Publication Date: April 22, 2022
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1998-6
- List Price: $97.00
Provides consumer health information on the various types of allergic reactions, the common allergic triggers, medications, and therapies used to manage the reactions and prevent symptoms. Includes index, glossary of related terms, and other resources.
Allergy is a medical term that is used when a person’s immune system reacts abnormally to any foreign substance which is called an allergen. Allergies are classified into three types as mild, moderate, and severe. They are the sixth leading cause of chronic illness in the United States and it is the most common health issue affecting children in the United States. According to the statistics provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 50 million people have allergies including indoor/outdoor allergies, food and drug, latex, insect, skin, and eye allergies.
Allergies Sourcebook, Seventh Edition provides information on various forms of allergies, their management, and how to avoid triggers and prevent symptoms. It offers a basic understanding of the immune system, the allergic reactions such as sinusitis, asthma, eczema, and anaphylaxis, and the allergens that cause it. It briefs out the common allergic triggers in food, air, environment, and chemicals along with managing allergies using medications, such as antihistamines, corticosteroids, anti-immunoglobulin E therapy, allergy shots, and so on. The book concludes with the preventive methods to avoid allergies and their triggers along with a glossary of terms related to allergies and the immune system and directories of organizations to provide more information about allergies.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume