Aging Sourcebook, 2nd Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 648
- Publication Date: March 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1893-4
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
According to the Office of the Surgeon General, the number of Americans who celebrated their 65th birthday has reached a record-breaking 46 million, with an expected projection of 74 million by 2030. This is in large part thanks to the baby boomer generation, which has swelled the ranks of seniors. However, medical advances and healthier lifestyle choices have also led to individuals living longer. The vast ranks of older adults in the United States continue to contribute to society in a variety of ways, but, as they move into advanced old age, their needs will create new challenges for their families, medical and public health professionals, and the wider community.
Aging Sourcebook, Second Edition provides information about physiology of aging, impact of stress on aging, and how the brain’s health can make a difference. It also discusses healthy aging through physical activities, healthy food habits, and immunizations. The book provides information on aging-associated diseases and medical conditions such as cancers, cardiovascular disorders, eye disorders, instability, mental disorders, musculoskeletal disorders, neurodegenerative disorders, respiratory disorders, and more. It also offers tips on using medicines safely and improving the quality of life. It also explains about the abuses faced by elders in their daily lives and the impact it has on them. Suggestions for Medicare assistance for treatments, getting help with caregiving, financial counseling, and end-of-life care are also provided. The book concludes with a glossary of terms related to aging and a directory of organizations that provides information about aging.
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Volumes published after June 2015 include access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $95 per volume
- School and Library Price $85 per volume