Adolescent Health Sourcebook, 5th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Kevin Hayes
- Binding: Hardcover
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 928
- Publication Date: July 2021
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1907-8
- List Price: $97.00
- Download MARC record
In 2019, among 73 million Americans 1 in 5 were under age 18. During adolescence, as teenagers transition into adulthood, they experience significant physical, mental, and emotional changes. The choices they make during this period can have profound ramifications on their health and well-being. Teens who get involved in unhealthy or risky behaviors – such as substance abuse, unprotected sexual activity, or dangerous driving – may find themselves at risk for long-term, even lifelong health consequences. In addition, because social connections are so critical during the adolescent years, the demands of friendships, peer pressure, and other relationship stresses can complicate healthy decision-making processes.
Adolescent Health Sourcebook, Fifth Edition offers parents and teens basic information about growth and development during adolescence and related safety issues. It discusses the importance of routine medical care, adequate nutrition, physical activity, and sleep. The well-being of adolescents during COVID-19 is also discussed. It offers facts about reproductive development and the health consequences of sexual decisions. It also describes many of the most common health problems that affect adolescents, including acne, allergies, asthma, diabetes, and infections. Emotional, social, and mental health concerns – including depression, anxiety disorders, self-injury, suicide, and addictions – are also discussed. The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and a directory of resources for additional help and information.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $97 per volume
- School and Library Price $87 per volume