Learning Disabilities Sourcebook, 5th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Keith Jones
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 568
- Publication Date: Aug. 2016
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1520-9
- List Price: $95.00
Web Price: $85.00
Learning disabilities are neurological disorders that affect the brain’s ability to process, store, and communicate information. According to the U.S. Department of Education, learning disabilities affect as many as one out of every five people in the United States. They can make school difficult, make it hard to obtain and sustain employment, make daily tasks challenging, and even affect relationships.
Learning Disabilities Sourcebook, 5th Edition, provides information about dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, speech and communication disorders, and auditory and visual processing disorders. It also provides details about other conditions that impact learning and offers facts about diagnosing learning disabilities, the special education process, and legal protections. Guidelines for life-stage transitions and coping with daily challenges are also included.
This book is divided into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part I: Understanding and Identifying Learning Disabilities explains how the brain works and defines what learning disabilities are. It discusses theories regarding their potential causes as well as the signs and symptoms associated with learning disabilities. It also explains how learning disabilities are diagnosed and evaluated.
Part II: Types of Learning Disabilities describes the most common forms of learning disabilities, including problems with reading, writing, mathematics, speech, language, and communication. It explains what these disorders are and how they are treated.
Part III: Other Disorders That Make Learning Difficult discusses common disorders that have a component that affects a child’s ability to learn, including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, epilepsy, fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, pervasive developmental disorders, visual and hearing disabilities, and chromosomal disorders such as Down syndrome.
Part IV: Learning Disabilities and the Educational Process provides information about how learning disabilities are accommodated within the schools. It describes early intervention strategies, explains how the special education process works, and details the legal supports for students with learning disabilities. Specialized teaching techniques and alternative educational options that are used to help learning-disabled students succeed are described. It also provides guidelines for successfully negotiating the transitions to high school and to college.
Part V: Living with Learning Disabilities discusses how learning disabilities impact daily life. It includes tips for coping with a learning disability and for parenting a child with a learning disability. It also provides detailed guidelines for handling the employment issues faced by those with learning disabilities. The impact of learning disabilities on self-esteem and social skills are also discussed.
Part VI: Additional Help and Information includes a glossary of terms related to learning disabilities, a list of sources of college funding for students with disabilities, and a directory of resources for further help and support.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts