Health Technology Sourcebook, 1st Ed.
- Author/Editor: Siva Ganesh Maharaja
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 600
- Publication Date: Dec 2017
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1591-9
- List Price: $95.00
Web Price: $85.00
Health Technology Sourcebook, First Edition provides information about the application of science to develop solutions to health problems or issues such as the prevention or delay of onset of diseases or the promotion and monitoring of good health. Examples of medical technology include medical and surgical procedures (angioplasty, joint replacements, organ transplants), diagnostic tests (laboratory tests, biopsies, imaging), drugs (biologic agents, pharmaceuticals, vaccines), medical devices (implantable defibrillators, stents), prosthetics (artificial body parts), and new support systems (electronic medical records, e-prescribing, and telemedicine). The book concludes with a glossary of related terms and a directory of organizations that provide information about health technology.
This book is divided into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part I: Medicine and Technology gives an overview about telehealth, types of telemedicine technology, remote monitoring, and imaging services. Electrocardiogram, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, and other imaging services are explained. It also details the effects and effectiveness of telemedicine, and the past, present, and future of science and technology for disease control.
Part II: Information Technology and Medicine discusses health information technologies and its applications. Electronic health record, e-prescribing, personal health records, electronic dental records, and secure messaging technologies are explained. It also deals with the concepts of health information management systems.
Part III: Medical Equipment Technology deals with medical equipment such as robotics, wireless patient vital signs monitoring devices, and computer-assisted surgical systems. Additionally, it discusses about the future of artificial limbs, mobile stroke units, and light therapy and brain function.
Part IV: Technology Research and Healthcare provides research information on nanotechnology, stem cells, artificial brains, and DNA microchip technology. It also describes artificial intelligence, 3D printed biological materials, and tooth regeneration concepts.
Part V: Digital Innovations in Healthcare discusses various innovations related to sensors and wearable technologies in healthcare, personal healthcare mobile applications, and assistive devices. In addition, it also describes the SPHERE, a sensory platform for healthcare needs in a residential environment.
Part VI: Medical Technology and the Law deals with medical records privacy, confidentiality, and health information privacy law and policy. It also discusses cloning and law.
Part VII: Additional Help and Information provides a glossary of important terms related to health technologies and a directory of organizations that offer information related health technologies.
Standard Features in the Health Reference Series
- Library Binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Volumes published after June 2015 include access to Health Reference Series Online.
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations.
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation.
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations.
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms.
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support.
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts.
- List Price $95 per volume
- School and Library Price $85 per volume