Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders Sourcebook, 3rd Ed.
- Author/Editor: Keith Jones
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 560
- Publication Date: Dec 2016
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1543-8
- List Price: $95.00
- Available as E-Book
- Printable Information Sheet
Web Price: $85.00
The endocrine system includes the pituitary, adrenal, and thyroid glands, the pancreas, and the ovaries and testes. These glands secrete hormones that regulate metabolism, and abnormal levels of these hormones disrupt normal functioning and compromise health. Sometimes the symptoms of dysfunction appear gradually, but other disruptions, such as diabetic shock, can appear suddenly, progress quickly, and be life threatening.
Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders Sourcebook, 3rd Edition, provides information about the endocrine system and its role in the regulation of human growth, organ function, and metabolic control, along with information about the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of endocrine and metabolic disorders.
This book is divided into parts and chapters. Parts focus on broad areas of interest. Chapters are devoted to single topics within a part.
Part I: Endocrine Functioning and Metabolism describes the endocrine system, the various endocrine glands and their hormones, and the processes of metabolism and energy balance. Chemicals that disrupt the endocrine process are discussed. Individual chapters explain prenatal tests, newborn screening, genetic counseling and genetic testing.
Part II: The Pituitary Gland and Growth Disorders discusses growth disorders. It explains the evaluation process and the use of growth hormone therapy. It also describes pituitary tumors, prolactinomas, and other diseases related to the pituitary gland, including acromegaly, and diabetes insipidus.
Part III: Thyroid and Parathyroid Gland Disorders offers facts about proper thyroid functioning and common dysfunctions, including thyroiditis, Hashimoto disease, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, and Graves disease. It also describes disorders of the parathyroid glands and discusses related cancers.
Part IV: Adrenal Gland Disorders provides facts about diseases of adrenal insufficiency, including Addison disease, Cushing syndrome, and pheochromocytoma, along with information about adrenal gland cancer and congenital adrenal conditions. The management of adrenal insufficiency and the use of laparoscopic techniques for adrenal gland removal are also described.
Part V: Pancreatic and Diabetic Disorders provides information about pancreas function tests and the management of pancreatitis, insulin resistance, diabetes mellitus, and hypoglycemia. Facts about pancreatic and islet cell cancer and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome are also included.
Part VI: Disorders of the Ovaries and Testes describes disorders that result when sex gland hormone production is not balanced. These include hypogonadism, gynecomastia, menstrual problems, polycystic ovarian syndrome, premature ovarian failure, precocious puberty and turner syndrome.
Part VII: Other Disorders of Endocrine and Metabolic Functioning presents information about inherited enzyme deficiencies and other syndromes and diseases that result from, or impact, hormonal and metabolic processes.
Part VIII: Additional Help and Information includes a glossary of related terms, a guide to resources for children with special needs, and a directory of organizations able to provide more information about endocrine and metabolic disorders.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, university research centers, professional medical associations, and non-profit health organizations
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts