Diabetes Sourcebook, 6th Ed.
- Author/Editor: Keith Jones
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 600
- Book Level:
- Publication Date: Jan 2016
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1454-7
- List Price: $95.00
Web Price: $85.00
Diabetes is a chronic disorder characterized by high levels of blood sugar. It can lead to a host of complications, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, blindness, kidney disease, nervous system disease, and limb amputation. Although many of the complications of diabetes occur over long periods of time, poorly controlled blood glucose levels can also result in acute medical emergencies, such as seizures or coma or even death.
The number of people with diabetes in the United States is growing. According to the 2014 publication from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 29.1 million children and adults in the United States are living with diabetes. Among people aged twenty and older, 208,000 people have been diagnosed with diabetes (type 1 or type 2). Furthermore, an estimated 86 million adults aged 20 years and older have prediabetes. Despite its prevalence, many Americans are unaware of the basic facts about diabetes and the progress being made in the fight against it. For example, new forms of treatment are being developed making it easier to manage, and work on pancreatic islet transplantation and an artificial pancreas offer hope for an eventual cure.
Diabetes Sourcebook, Sixth Edition provides basic consumer health information about the different types of diabetes and how they are diagnosed. It discusses strategies for controlling diabetes and managing daily life challenges. It includes information about the complications of diabetes and their prevention and offers guidelines for recognizing and treating diabetic emergencies. The book concludes with updated information regarding the most recent research in diabetes care, a glossary of related terms, and a list of resources for additional help and information.
- Library binding, 6 x 9
- 550-650 pages per volume
- Includes access to Health Reference Series Online
- Easy-to-use volumes organized into parts and chapters
- Parts focus on broad areas of interest; chapters focus on single topics within a part
- Authoritative content from respected government agencies and institutes, along with selected original material
- Comprehensive chapters feature generous use of headings and subheadings for ease of navigation
- Tables, charts, and illustrations display statistical data and supplement explanations
- Helpful glossary provides definitions of technical terms
- Resource directories with contact information highlight organizations that can provide further information and support
- Professionally prepared master index provides easy access to descriptive information, definitions, and related concepts