Brown v. Board of Education, 2nd Ed.
- Author/Editor: Laurie Collier Hillstrom
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 7 1/4 x 9 1/4
- Page Count: 240
- Publication Date: October 2017
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-1512-4
- List Price: $60.00
Web Price: $54.00
Brown v. Board of Education was a landmark Supreme Court decision that ended segregation in American schools. The ruling effectively changed American schooling and, consequently, American culture and society forever. But change did not come easily, and the road to desegregation was fraught with injustice, inequality, and courageous acts of defiance by oppressed American citizens fighting to tear down the nation’s separate but equal policy.
Defining Moments: Brown v. Board of Education, Second Edition, presents an updated, authoritative account of the origins and progression of the landmark Supreme Court ruling that desegregated American public schools, and the decision’s lasting impact on America’s political and cultural landscape. The revised edition contains new and updated content in each section, along with extensive new information about recent developments in the area of education equality and opportunity including: continuing racial segregation of the nation’s schools, court rulings aimed at eliminating race as a factor in school assignments and college admissions, and current efforts to increase minority student achievement.
- Library binding, 7 1/4 x 9 1/4
- 240 pages
- 30-40 photographs and other illustrations
- Narrative Overview section: Provides a detailed, factual account of the “defining moment”
- Biographies section: Presents valuable biographical background on leading figures associated with the event
- Primary Sources section: Collects a wide variety of pertinent primary source materials from the era
- Research Topics: Proposes a list of topics suitable for conducting historical research and writing reports, a valuable starting point for student research
- Source Attribution: Contains references for primary sources and other quoted material that guide users to other historical research resources
- Glossary of Important People, Places, and Terms: Gives brief definitions for the many terms used in the book
- Chronology: Highlights the related events in chronological order, along with “see” references that direct the reader to pages in the narrative with additional information
- Sources for Further Study: Provides annotated citations for selected sources that are most useful to students
- Bibliography: Lists books, periodicals, web sites, and videos consulted in preparing the volume
- Subject Index: Includes people, places, organizations, events, and other topics