2004 Annual Cumulation
- Author/Editor: Cherie D. Abbey
- Binding: Library binding
- Trim Size: 6 x 9
- Page Count: 582
- Book Level:
- Publication Date: 2004
- ISBN: 978-0-7808-0686-3
- List Price: $73.00
You save $33.00 (50%)!
Biography Today features collected biographies that are written especially for young readers ages nine and above, in a format they can enjoy reading and readily understand.
The Biography Today Annual Cumulation is a single hardbound volume that compiles 30 or more biographical profiles published during the year in the softbound subscription. Each volume includes alphabetically arranged entries that are visually interesting, with easy-to-read typefaces, photographs of individuals profiled, and highlighted quotations. Bold-faced rubrics lead the reader to information on each individual’s birth, youth, education, first jobs, career highlights, marriage and family, hobbies, and honors and awards. Each profile ends with a list of easily accessible print and online sources designed to lead the student to further reading on the individual, as well as a current mailing address. For a more complete understanding of the coverage offered in Biography Today, please see the Sample Pages.
Each issue features contemporary people from a mix of professions, so readers of all backgrounds and interests will find material that will intrigue and challenge them. In Biography Today, they’ll find the people they want to read about right now.
Individuals Profiled in 2004
- Natalie Babbitt – author of children’s books, including Tuck Everlasting
- David Beckham – British soccer player
- Francie Berger – architect & Lego model designer
- Tony Blair – prime minister of England
- Orlando Bloom – actor & star of Lord of the Rings
- Kim Clijsters – tennis player
- Celia Cruz – recently deceased salsa star
- Matel Dawson – autoworker who gave away more than $1 million to worthy causes
- The Donnas – rock group
- Tim Duncan – basketball player
- Shirin Ebadi – Iranian lawyer & human rights activist, winner of Nobel Peace Prize
- Carla Hayden – librarian and president of the American Library Association
- John Kerry – Democratic candidate for President
- Alison Krauss – bluegrass musician
- Ashton Kutcher – actor & star of “That 70’s Show” & “Punk’d”
- Lisa Leslie – WNBA basketball star
- Linkin Park – rock group
- Lindsay Lohan – actress
- Irene Long – scientist & doctor for NASA astronauts
- John Mayer – pop singer & musician
- Mandy Moore – singer & actress
- Thich Nhat Hanh – religious leader & human rights activist
- OutKast – hip-hop music group
- Raven – actress & singer
- Keanu Reeves – actor & star of The Matrix
- Ricardo Sanchez – U.S. Army general
- Brian Urlacher – football player
- Alexa Vega – actress & star of the Spy Kids movies
- Michelle Wie – golfer
- Will Wright – computer game designer & creator of The Sims
Standard Features in the Annual Cumulation
- Library binding, hardcover, 6 x 9
- Each volume includes 30 or more biographical profiles
- Articles include photos and pull-quotes to enliven the page
- Biographies presented in an easy-to-understand, consistent, and enjoyable format
- Boldface headings trace the individual’s life from birth through career milestones, creating an outline for students:
- First Jobs
- Career Highlights
- Marriage and Family
- Hobbies and Other Interests
- Honors and Awards
- Further Reading (print and online sources)
- Address and Web Site
- Each volume features three different indexes, and all are cumulative:
- General Index that includes names, subjects, occupations, organizations, and ethnic & minority origins
- Places of Birth Index
- Birthday Index
Reviews of Recent Titles in the Biography Today Series
"This publication offers young adults in-depth profiles of personalities, many suggested by librarians and teachers. The showcased individuals represent politics, sports, entertainment, science, and business. ... The articles extensively use quotes from the personalities and those close to them as well as personal stories that give more than bare biographical statistics. Readers come away from the articles feeling like they have shared a comfortable conversation with the celebrity profiled."
"The series is presented in a clear and highly accessible manner. ... As long as teachers continue to require biographical reports, this series will have a place in school libraries."
—VOYA: Voice of Youth Advocates, June '11
"Middle and high school libraries will find this series a useful addition to their libraries, as the people profiled here are of interest to this age group and often topics of research."
—American Reference Books Annual, 2012
"[This edition] of this highly respected series meets the high criteria set by earlier editions, staples in juvenile reference collections across the country. ... The writing is clear and unambiguous, obviously geared to its target audience. This latest version of the highly respected set does not disappoint the researcher. This work is highly recommended for juvenile reference collections."
—American Reference Books Annual, 2007
"The best value for collective biographies is still Omnigraphics’ Biography Today."
—NJEA Review, May '02
"Highly recommended for the young adult audience. Readers will delight in the accessible, energetic, tell-all style; teachers, librarians, and parents will welcome the clever format, intelligent and informative text. It should prove especially useful in motivating reluctant readers or literate nonreaders."